Debian multiarch library directories

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Dec 11 17:27:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'd like to know what exactly the situation is with Debian multiarch.

So, if I am on a 32bit x86 installation, is putting a library into /usr/lib/
ok ? (i.e. will it work, even if not recommended)
Or will it work _only_ in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ ?

What about library dirs in /usr/local/, /opt/whatever/ ?
Does the tuple have to be used there too ?

How does cmake work with it ?
I know it has some support for it, but that's all I know.

Does it find library in /usr/lib/<tuple>/ ? (I think so)

Does it find cmake's Config.cmake files in /usr/lib/<tuple>/cmake/ ?
(I hope so)
Does it find them too if they are simply in /usr/lib/cmake/ ?

What about the usage of /usr/lib64/ on 64bit systems ?
Is that still ok ?
Or should now only either /usr/lib/ or /usr/lib/tuple/ be used, but not
/usr/lib64/ ?