AW: Install dlls to /bin

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Jul 16 07:59:19 CEST 2007

Alexander Neundorf schrieb:
> On Friday 13 July 2007 17:14, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Alexander Neundorf schrieb:

>>> Forgot to attach the patch ?
>>>
>> An initial version was send to kde-buildsystem at kde.org and there was no
>> reaction until now.
>>
>> here is an updated version with  additional fixes for
>> kde4_add_kdeinit_executable
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> -install(TARGETS kdnssd  DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR} )
> +install(TARGETS kdnssd
> +             RUNTIME DESTINATION ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR}
> +             LIBRARY DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}
> +             ARCHIVE DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}
> +)
>
> This patch has the effect that the dlls under windows go into the bin/
> directory and the .so under UNIX still go into lib/.
> So the patch is correct so far.

yes
> But nevertheless I'm not sure we want this and I don't feel like deciding
> this.
>
> Right now the dlls go into lib/ and you (the windows developers) obviously do
> something to make it work (set the PATH ?).

yes, it requires an additional path ending with lib in the
> The problem I see is that the average (Linux) KDE developer might forget the
> long form with RUNTIME, LIBRARY and ARCHIVE and just use DESTINATION and then
> his project will not work on Windows. Right now kdelibs is installed so that
> it will work if just DESTINATION is used, so the UNIX developer doesn't have
> to care about this problem for Windows.

a clean solution would be to change the win32 cmake default of RUNTIME
DESTINATION or to add a global variable to change it on a project base.
> I'd like to get some more opinions on this, please don't commit yet.
> kdelibs/ isn't enough then, it would have to be all libs KDE svn I'd say.

This patch basically came from PutHuhn and he has provided also a
kdepimlibs patch. I've redirected this answer to him too.

Ralf