AW: Install dlls to /bin

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jul 16 00:47:38 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 17:14, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf schrieb:
> > On Friday 13 July 2007 14:07, you wrote:
> >> Ralf Habacker schrieb:
> >>
> >> do you have any problems with this patch ?
> >
> > Forgot to attach the patch ?
>
> An initial version was send to kde-buildsystem at kde.org and there was no
> reaction until now.
>
> here is an updated version with  additional fixes for
> kde4_add_kdeinit_executable
>
> Ralf

-install(TARGETS kdnssd  DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR} )
+install(TARGETS kdnssd
+             RUNTIME DESTINATION ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR}
+             LIBRARY DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}
+             ARCHIVE DESTINATION ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}
+)

This patch has the effect that the dlls under windows go into the bin/
directory and the .so under UNIX still go into lib/.
So the patch is correct so far.

But nevertheless I'm not sure we want this and I don't feel like deciding
this.

Right now the dlls go into lib/ and you (the windows developers) obviously do
something to make it work (set the PATH ?).

The problem I see is that the average (Linux) KDE developer might forget the
long form with RUNTIME, LIBRARY and ARCHIVE and just use DESTINATION and then
his project will not work on Windows. Right now kdelibs is installed so that
it will work if just DESTINATION is used, so the UNIX developer doesn't have
to care about this problem for Windows.

I'd like to get some more opinions on this, please don't commit yet.
kdelibs/ isn't enough then, it would have to be all libs KDE svn I'd say.