[FreeNX-kNX] server not starting

Jonathan Brooks Jon.Brooks at bristol.ac.uk
Mon May 12 21:37:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with FreeNX to see if I can make it work under Ubuntu 13.10, and have
had some success - see earlier threads. However, the reason I was attempting this was because
I’d previously failed to get FreeNX to work on a workstation image that our IT have installed onto
our systems. Ostensibly this image should be much like the vanilla Saucy Salamander install that
I managed to get FreeNX working on, but for some reason I can’t get it to work.

I’m failing at the first hurdle. I have installed FreeNX, and have run the nxsetup, but for the life of me
I can’t get the nxserver to start. I have bumped up the logging level to 7, and pointed it towards a log
file, but it never starts, and nothing ever gets written to the log file.

Where can I start? Is there some logging tool that can tell me if certain libraries are missing? Or any
general troubleshooting tips?

Best wishes,

Jon

--
Jonathan Brooks (PhD) - Senior Research Fellow
CRiCBristol, University of Bristol, St Michael's Hill, Bristol, UK