[FreeNX-kNX] More on getting FreeNX to work on Ubuntu

Jonathan Brooks Jon.Brooks at bristol.ac.uk
Sat May 10 18:21:42 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Further updates on trying to get FreeNX to work with Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)…..
I’m still not sure why the X server requires a /tmp/user folder and for its permissions to be
777. Seems like asking for problems. This problem probably relates to this:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2013-January/009777.html

Anyway, I next tried to get session resuming working - as per the instructions in an earlier
thread (http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2012-July/009695.html), which sort of worked….
sessions now persist, and can be resumed but all the fonts are missing on the resumed
session. More digging:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081746&page=2

So it turns out that you need to add the following to /etc/nxserver/node.conf
export CAIRO_DEBUG=xrender-version=0.9

This works because node.conf is sourced by bash, and presumably each time you start
or resume a session this is sourced.

Which then allows proper session resumes!

Hope this helps you!

Jon

--
Jonathan Brooks (PhD) - Senior Research Fellow
CRiCBristol, University of Bristol, St Michael's Hill, Bristol, UK