No subject

Fri Jan 17 03:57:02 UTC 2014

The current default method to encode images in NX X sessions is JPEG, with
quality determined according to link settings.

Other available methods are PNG and ZLIB X bitmap compression.

JPEG is a lossy image format.

Most remote display systems cannot generally use JPEG as in these
systems not only images but even generic screen updates, containing
text or other vector graphics, are encoded as bitmaps.

In these systems the use of JPEG would make the resulting output clumsy.

NX, instead, preserves the original X protocol to handle text and graphics
rendering and uses lossy image compression only for X requests carrying
actual bitmap images.
Unquote

This gist of this is they they compress the X message traffic for text,
( mostly by cache hits and differential updates )

which means that the choice of bitmap compression is not going to affect
office work so much, although we both notice that button icons are a bit
blurry.

I haven't changed my view. There isn't much you can do, but you do
 need to set the link type.

1/ Make sure the server is up to the job
2/ Use the fastest link you can - with ssh link encryption you can tell
        the users to use an Internet Cafe instead of a 2M 3G stick
2a/ Don't forget the server end of the link may be loaded up
3/ Select the correct (client) link speed whatever it (actually) is
4/ Minimize traffic, use rootless apps etc
5/ Test it out for your site and applications
6/ Don't tell the users they can tweak things.

We await other users telling us of their experiences !!.

One other thing.

Do you see any content in the client disk cache ??

CB

> Thanks for you attention:
> Toni

--=_alternative 00314BA080257737_=

on 26/05/2010 16:03:06:<br>
> Chris wrote:<br>
> > Obviously other's experiences help and we could do with more
feedback . . . <br>
> .<br>
> A week has passed and no one answered with its case :-(. I'll try
to comment <br>
> on our own case, we have <br>
>    freenx-server   0.7.3<br>
>    nx client for Windows 3.4.0-7<br>
> [...]<br>
> > What I did when I was looking at this, was to try the same tasks
using both <br>
> > high quality jpeg and RGB and compare how it seemed to be on
the screen. <br>
> In our case:  the speed difference was not a great one, the <br>
> behaviour was a bit <br>
> faster using the lossless RGB compresion.<br>
you select.</font></tt>
compressed</font></tt>
a whole trail of</font></tt>
world test.</font></tt>
even though</font></tt>
> > I found that I couldn't distinguish between the quality of image
( on a  <br>
> > spreadsheet, which is one of our core apps, lots of thin straight
black <br>
> > lines on a white background, just what the jpeg people say they
aren't good<br>
> > at ) <br>
> In our case:  the presentation made a visible difference. I attach
> screenshots <br>
> of the configuration (with "modem" settings and setting
both rgb and jpeg <br>
> compression, jpeg at the highest quality) and obtaining a low quality
result <br>
> in some places of the screenshot (like the buttons),</font></tt>
lossy jpeg I guess . . . .</font></tt>
> than the Windows remote desktop protocol one, which would make us
> look like if <br>
> we had something of worse quality. This is very important. Maybe it's
a <br>
> setting that has to be tuned? :-?<br>
between</font></tt>
in NX X sessions is JPEG, with</font>
X bitmap compression.</font>
use JPEG as in these</font>
screen updates, containing</font>
as bitmaps.</font>
the resulting output clumsy.</font>
to handle text and graphics</font>
only for X requests carrying</font>
traffic for text,</font></tt>
is not going to affect</font></tt>
button icons are a bit</font></tt>
do, but you do</font></tt>
you can tell</font></tt>
an Internet Cafe instead of a 2M 3G stick</font></tt>
loaded up</font></tt>
it (actually) is</font></tt>
!!.</font></tt>