[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX & NoMachine Player - Connection Issues

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Thu Oct 17 17:58:02 UTC 2013

Jon,
You can try the attached patch, although the nxserver you sent looked
to be already patched correctly, with the original lines commented out
and the new ones added in.  As to whether it'll work or not, you'll have
to give that a try yourself - it works for us for resuming sessions,
but, if you've followed the mailing list for the past several weeks,
you'll see that we have an entirely different set of issues with
NoMachine 4 and FreeNX that I have yet to be able to solve.  At this
point we're just using NX Client 3.5 on the Windows hosts and telling
Mac/Linux users that are running 4.0 to keep trying until they get a
session.  Kind of sad, but until I can figure out what library call in
Xcomp is failing, I don't really have much choice.

I'd really like to see a NoMachine-compatible product, like FreeNX,
live on...X2Go is nice, but sometimes cross-compatibility is necessary.

-Nick

>>> On 2013/10/16 at 11:52, Jonathan Brooks <Jon.Brooks at bristol.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Dear Mr Couchman,
>
> I hope you don't mind me contacting you out of the blue, but we are
having
> some problems with FreeNX and I think you might be the person to fix
them!

> A while ago you posted a solution to the problem of resuming
suspended
> sessions on a server running FreeNX.
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2012-July/009695.html
>
> We tried patching against our installed version of nxserver
(3.2.0-74-SVN) on
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and the chunks don't seem to line up with the
version we
> have installed. If you have the time and the inclination you can take
a look
> at the attached file where I have added the lines you suggest, but
the
> underlying script looks different to the one you were intended to
patch
> against (I think).
>
> So the question is*..will it work? Like you I am trying to connect
from a
> Mac running NX player and whilst this seems to work fine with the
latest NX
> player (as of today), the not resuming session thing is a real
deal-breaker.

> Any help/suggestion you can provide would be really appreciated.
>
> Yours,
>
> Jon

--------
This e-mail may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Confidential and Proprietary Information.  If this message is not intended for you, you are strictly prohibited from using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please delete the message from your mailbox.  This e-mail may contain export-controlled material and should be handled accordingly.