[FreeNX-kNX] 716 Slave mode failed to start script error?

OwN-3m-All own3mall at gmail.com
Thu May 2 07:27:03 UTC 2013

I finally figured it out.  It was again a problem with the /etc/hosts file,
but I'm not sure why it flipped out.

Well I haven't seen this, however  . . .

> First I suggest you check again that the sshd you are pointing
> at really is
>          still working with password authentication
>
> eg. see
>         PasswordAuthentication yes      in /etc/sshd/sshd_config
>
>         did you miss restarting sshd after you updated something ??
> and
>         SSHD_PORT=22   in /etc/nxserver/node.conf
>                          or wherever it really is listening
> and
> that you still have FREENX ssh authentication selected.
>
>         ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION="1"
>         ENABLE_USERMODE_AUTHENTICATION="0"
>         ENABLE_SU_AUTHENTICATION="0"

Yep, all of this looked good, and I verified that my settings were correct.

> You can best test your ssh from the FreeNX server
>  using the line of NX code ( with "your-user-name-here added" )
>

> ssh  -2 -x -l "your-user-name-here" 127.0.0.1 -o "NumberOfPasswordPrompts
> 1" -p 22

This proved to be helpful.  I could SSH into the server, but I couldn't SSH
locally on the server.  I checked my logs and found this:

May  2 01:00:04 chi CRON[10551]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for
user username
May  2 01:01:50 chi sshd[10619]: Accepted publickey for nx from [myip] port
[number] ssh2
May  2 01:01:50 chi sshd[10619]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for
user nx by (uid=0)
May  2 01:01:54 chi nxserver[10860]: (nx) Failed login for user=[username]
from IP=[myip]
May  2 01:01:54 chi sshd[10619]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for
user nx

SSH would instantly close when I tried it locally with the following errors:

Connection closed by ::1
Connection closed by 127.0.0.1

So, to fix it, I commented all the IPv6 lines from the hosts file, and
removed some huge long lines that spanned forever that were added for all
of the websites I host so that I can access them locally by using the hosts
file.  This is done automatically by the software I use.  I guess the
length was so long, it corrupted things.  I have since turned this feature
off.

Thanks for the help!