[FreeNX-kNX] 716 Slave mode failed to start script error?

Chris chris at ccburton.com
Wed May 1 08:42:09 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 01/05/2013 05:10:01:

> Hi All,
>
> All of a sudden, I can no longer log into my server with FreeNX. It
> used to work fine. I can login via ssh with the same username and
> password.  When I try to login with FreeNX, I get the error message
> below.  The password is correct, ssh has been configured to accept
> password authentication, and config files look correct.
>

> -- NX SERVER START: -c /usr/lib/nx/nxserver - ORIG_COMMAND=
> -- NX SERVER START:  - ORIG_COMMAND=
> Info: Using fds #4 and #3 for communication with nxnode.
> HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)
> NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 3.2.0
> NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 3.2.0
> NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
> NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
> NX> 105 login
> NX> 101 User: user
> NX> 102 Password:
> Info: Auth method: ssh Connection closed by 127.0.0.1

> expect: spawn id exp7 not open

An error Message ( from expect )
        ( which waits for the password prompt before logging you in )

> while executing
> "expect {
> "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" { send "yesr" }
> "assword*:"  { sleep 0.3; send "$passwordr" }
> "Permission de..."
> ("while" body line 2)
> invoked from within
> "while {1} {
> expect {
> "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" { send "yesr" }
> "assword*:"  { sleep 0.3; send "$passwordr" }
> "..."
> (file "/usr/lib/nx/nxnode-login" line 72)

 . . . and some details from expect about what went wrong . . .

Spawn id not open means that
         the "expect" spawned process
         ( ssh localhost in this case )
has terminated ( unexpectedly)
but
the code isn't handling it.

> FREENX> 716 Slave mode failed to start.
> Info: Closing connection to slave with pid 21260.

. . . . and the subsequent FreeNX error message anouncing
         failure to start . . . .

> NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login

. . . . due to your username not being authenticated

> NX> 999 Bye
> user at chi:/var/log#
>
> Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions on what I should do?

Well I haven't seen this, however  . . .

First I suggest you check again that the sshd you are pointing
at really is
         still working with password authentication

eg. see
        PasswordAuthentication yes      in /etc/sshd/sshd_config

        did you miss restarting sshd after you updated something ??
and
        SSHD_PORT=22   in /etc/nxserver/node.conf
                         or wherever it really is listening
and
that you still have FREENX ssh authentication selected.

        ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION="1"
        ENABLE_USERMODE_AUTHENTICATION="0"
        ENABLE_SU_AUTHENTICATION="0"

You can best test your ssh from the FreeNX server
 using the line of NX code ( with "your-user-name-here added" )

ssh  -2 -x -l "your-user-name-here" 127.0.0.1 -o "NumberOfPasswordPrompts
1" -p 22

*** NOTE we are looking for a

         " . . .  password:" prompt

 and a subsequent successful PASSWORD login AS YOUR USER ****

 **** NOTE if you get

        The authenticity of host '127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)' can't be
established.
        ECDSA key fingerprint is la:la:la: etcb cte.
        Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

then the expect script can cope with this also !!!!

if you get anything else, then
        sent me a copy of what ssh says
 and the following info
        what distro do you use??