[FreeNX-kNX] getting freenx working

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sat Apr 20 10:41:52 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 19/04/2013 18:57:24:

> I’m trying to give users a nice replacement
> to humming bird exceed and stumbled upon
> nomachine. Pity the site is down. Anyone know
> what that’s about? Nevertheless got a copy of
> the nxclient (3.5.09) for windows and installed
> that. I installed the linux product and it worked
> like a dream…until more than 2 people tried to
> connect.  I then came across freenx. Did a
> yum install on my linux host, set connection
> for XDM,

You may need patching for XDM.

Get it working with kde/gnome ( or xterm ) first.

> cut from the key on windows, paste

???

> to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2.

???

What did you do here ??

> Node.conf only has
> ENABLE_FORCE_ENCRYPTION=1
> ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION=1 (nxserver –adduser, --passwd)

Better to get it working without passdb first.

> ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION=1
>
> run nxsetup –test
> get a few warnings about the server config (unmodified)
> It checks the nxserver connection, shows my banner
> and give the generic permission denied (publickey,gssapi_keyex,
> gssapi-with-mic,password)

When ran setup, did you create your own key
or
keep the default Nomachine one ??

If you created your own key then you need to copy it to
the nxclients.

( the nx web client should do that for you, but I don't use it )

> Fatal error: could not connect to NX server. The following are examples
of …

> And indeed when I try to run nxmachin on windows it fails and when
> I look at details, it says,
> NX> using auth method publickey
> NX> Authentication failed

Sounds like you didn't copy your new key over to the client.

> The only lines I have enabled in sshd_config are
> pubkeyauthentication yes
> passwordauthentication yes

The above are needed for default authentication.