[FreeNX-kNX] getting freenx working

Stern, M. David David.Stern at jhuapl.edu
Fri Apr 19 17:57:24 UTC 2013

I'm trying to give users a nice replacement
to humming bird exceed and stumbled upon
nomachine. Pity the site is down. Anyone know
what that's about? Nevertheless got a copy of
the nxclient (3.5.09) for windows and installed
that. I installed the linux product and it worked
like a dream...until more than 2 people tried to
connect.  I then came across freenx. Did a
yum install on my linux host, set connection
for XDM, cut from the key on windows, paste
to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2.

Node.conf only has
ENABLE_FORCE_ENCRYPTION=1
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION=1 (nxserver -adduser, --passwd)
ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION=1

run nxsetup -test
get a few warnings about the server config (unmodified)
It checks the nxserver connection, shows my banner
and give the generic permission denied (publickey,gssapi_keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password)
Fatal error: could not connect to NX server. The following are examples of ...

And indeed when I try to run nxmachin on windows it fails and when
I look at details, it says,
NX> using auth method publickey
NX> Authentication failed

The only lines I have enabled in sshd_config are
pubkeyauthentication yes
passwordauthentication yes
challengeresponseauthentication no
gssapiauthentication yes
gssapicleanupcredentials yes
Usepam yes
banner /etc/issue
X11forwarding yes

Any ideas?
Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-= Generated by /dev/dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
M. David Stern                                Applied Physics Lab
                         Force Projection Dept