[FreeNX-kNX] Patch to (re)-allow FreeNX shadowing of :0 (Local) sessions - ubuntu FreeNX and its derivatives

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Jul 5 14:13:20 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 05/07/2012 12:16:32:

> Zitat von chris at ccburton.com:
>
> > I doubt anyone is intersted anymore, but just in case
> > here's a re-patch to allow shadowing of console sessions.
> >
> > Note this applies to ubuntu FreeNX and its derivatives.
> >
> > Fedora, Centos & Suse haven't included the patch mentioned.
> >

> Hi Chris,
>
> would it not make more sense to fork the github repo from fabianx
> and put the patch there in a branch?

Hiya Henning

Good question there are a few patches around for
various features . . .

There are a few points to take into consideration tho . . . .

The original developer(s) ha[s|ve] vanished
        (probably to get a job/life).

They are the only people who proprtly knwe how it all worked
(and they will have forgotten now)

The Ubuntu people seem to have done quite a bit of work, but they
have gone of on their own way.

        pushing out     their own patches on their own
        introducing different coding styles
        they seem to have added a lot of logging, but
I don't know why.
        changing their installation location to match nomachine's
        not doing any documentation
and
        now they seem to have stopped too . . .

Suse have dumped theirs onto "community", so anyone can
release an rpm.

The Redhat people (whoever they are)
         may a few patchesfrom ubuntu but not all,
but
         haven't followed ubuntuin changing the
installtion location.

So FreeNX is effectively multiply forked anyway.

Also

Nomachine are not releasing the next version of their
NXagent etc to open source, so any/all Open-Source NX
projects may well be in their final stages.

There are a number (rather too many) of other projects
also using nomachines libraries, some of which threaten
to replace FreeNX as the most used (if not already)

There is no complete user documentation of FreeNX
so no-one (including me) seems to know just exactly
what all the features are.

        ** big job No 1 **

There is no documentation of the code, even within
the code its-self it is patchy.

It will all need to be taken to bits and worked
through.

        ** big job No 2 **

The code hasn't kept up with nomachine's client.

look at the way

        ENABLE_SHOW_RUNNING_SESSIONS

        ENABLE_AUTORECONNECT

interact

A lot of the code needs "reviewing" which means
lots of testing of every feature will need to be
done
VNC, XDM,windows, smb shares, smb/cups printing

        ** big job No 3 **

If you get that far, then packages need to be
produced and re-tested for the various distros.

        ** big job No 4 **

Then designers approvers and accepters are
needed with someone(s) in charge to appoint
etc

        ** big job No 5 **

Then the appropriate web presence is needed

        ** big job No 6 **

... all possibly just in time for the end of
support for nxagent/libraries.

If there was a large user base with a sponsor
and a fre volunteers then it might be do-able.

I didn't see much enthusiasm last time it
was proposed tho . . .