[FreeNX-kNX] restart daemon without loosing sessions?

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Feb 2 10:33:45 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 02/02/2012 09:13:38:

> Mm ok, so the reason for this is that I have a "production" server, with

> several users using it every day, and they get annoyed if their sessions

> (active or not) get lost.
> I would like to make some changes to the node.conf file. Usually I have
> been restarting the service with the init.d script after editing the
> configuration file.

Depending upon which /etc/init.d/freenx-server you have
        (some distros have their own
        (Opensuse never bothered with one at all !! ))

restarting the freenx-server service
 (or just stopping it or just starting it)

will
        immediately terminate ANY & ALL running/suspended sessions
(by executing
        nxserver --cleanup
)

> Can I tell the nxserver to reload the configuration file without having
> to do /etc/init.d/freenx-server restart ?

Well . . .

you can edit and save the nxnode.conf file at any time

but
tho' your changes are then immediate (ie. with no further action
necessary)

regarding
any subsequent NEW FreeNX session

your changes
will have no effect on any

         running/disconected/suspended

sessions.

You shouldn't need to be making many changes to nxnode.conf.

NOTE:-

nxnode.conf changes FreeNX settings
from
the defaults set in nxloadconfig
by
re-setting bash shell variables.

So . .

If you create a file called
eg.

         /etc/nxserver/myuser.node.conf

then

anything set in this file will then supercede
any values just changed in /etc/nxserver/node.conf

for
that user (myuser) (only)

so
you can set up an experimental user for testing your
nxnode updates on the live machine

or
have some chosen users with different settings.

NOTE also

FreeNX works by (default by) having the nx user's
shell set to nxserver
and
having the initial connection made by user nx
(to set up the ssh "tunnel")

This means that a fresh nxserver instance is launched
every time one of your users connects from an
nxclient.

Your user is then logged in locally from the server end
of the ssh "tunnel" . . .

There is no FreeNX daemon
There is no single FreeNX server process
There is no FreeNX server processes control process