[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Ubuntu freeNX PPA upstart dependency

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed Apr 13 18:24:24 UTC 2011

"Brent S. Elmer Ph.D." <webe3vt at aim.com> wrote on 13/04/2011 18:50:38:

> I have been using the Ubuntu PPA for freeNX on my Debian machines for a
> while.  I run Debian testing/wheezy.  I am using the karmic freeNX
> version because later versions have a dependency on upstart.  Debian has
> not decided to go the upstart direction so I would rather not install
> upstart.  Is there a way to make freeNX not depend on upstart?

Well . . .

. . . you can either install it anyway and write your own startup script
or create your own package.

If you look at the startup scrit you will see it deletes old lock files
and
makes sure the host key has its correct name, rather than starting
a daemon, so you can actually manage without it.

[SNIP]