[FreeNX-kNX] NX screen refresh performance

Toni Asensi Esteve asmond at orange.es
Wed May 26 15:03:06 UTC 2010

Chris wrote:
> Obviously other's experiences help and we could do with more feedback . . .
.
A week has passed and no one answered with its case :-(. I'll try to comment
on our own case, we have
	freenx-server   0.7.3
	nx client for Windows 3.4.0-7

[...]

> What I did when I was looking at this, was to try the same tasks using both
> high quality jpeg and RGB and compare how it seemed to be on the screen.

In our case:  the speed difference was not a great one, the behaviour was a bit
faster using the lossless RGB compresion.

> I found that I couldn't distinguish between the quality of image ( on a
> spreadsheet, which is one of our core apps, lots of thin straight black
> lines on a white background, just what the jpeg people say they aren't good
> at )

In our case:  the presentation made a visible difference. I attach screenshots
of the configuration (with "modem" settings and setting both rgb and jpeg
compression, jpeg at the highest quality) and obtaining a low quality result
in some places of the screenshot (like the buttons), a result somewhat worse
than the Windows remote desktop protocol one, which would make us look like if
we had something of worse quality. This is very important. Maybe it's a
setting that has to be tuned? :-?

Thanks for you attention:
Toni