[FreeNX-kNX] freeNX server crashed, no login

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed Apr 28 14:27:48 UTC 2010

olaf <olaf-linux at gmx.de> wrote on 28/04/2010 14:34:17:

> Hi!
>
> Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 13:10:03 schrieb chris at ccburton.com:
> > olaf <olaf-linux at gmx.de> wrote on 27/04/2010 19:14:53:
> > > I found the error, there was a lock-file from one of my test-users
in
> > /tmp:
> > > -r--r--r--  1      1008 users        11 27. Apr 17:46 .tX1005-lock
>
> > FreeNX produces lock files with the file name format
> >         /tmp/.nXUDS-lock
> > where UDS is the unix domain socket number or
> > session display as freeNX calls it.
>
> At first I saw and delete a file named ".X0-lock". After that nx is
still not

That's X on the console !!

> running, I take a second look, found and delete the ".tX1005-lock".
> After that
> nx is running.

I can't see where that comes from.

It's not in the scripts from FreeNX.

Are you sure it wasn't .nX1005-lock  ??

> > Are you sure you are not experiencing the 4 failed logins after
> > reboot / upgrade or no NX logins for a long time syndrome ??
>
> I know that problem because I have to try ~2-8 logins after every reboot
of
> the server. I have read that there was a solution for this problem, here
in
> the list a few weeks before, but it was not the primary action needed by
my
> server, so I write it on mytodo-list for the future.

Yup, it's just a nusance.

> But this was not that problem, I have tried yesterday ~20-30 logins, and
~4
> reboots. All but nx worked.

Hmmm

The likeliehood is that you changed something without noticing.

I guess that kde is not starting correctly.

Try running openoffice eg. oocalc directly instead of kde.

In the General tab on the nxclient,
        change Desktop to Custom instead of kde.
        Click Settings
         and put /usr/bin/oocalc in "Run the following command"
                and select it.

When you connect, if you get the spreadsheet on its own, this
would point to some kde issue.

> > If this is the case an update won't help you without a patch so
> > you need not update until you run into the evdev issue . . .
>
> "evdev issue"?

The evdev keyboard driver maps keys differently to before, so the
NX libraries have to choose the appropriate mapping.

This was fixed in NX-3.3.0-11.

If you connect FROM opensuse 11.2 which uses evdev, you should
run into the problem, otherwise don't fix unbroken things unless
you enjoy that sort of thing !!

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ