[FreeNX-kNX] Problem installing freenx-server-0.7.3 (edited nxloadconfig and 'make install' fails)

onlinespending at gmail.com onlinespending at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 00:16:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am trying to install freenx-server-0.7.3 on my Linux box at work so
that I can login from home from a Windows client.  I do not have root
access, but I'm not sure my problems are even related to that limitation.

I had no problem compiling the NoMachines sources.  I copied all
libraries and binaries to $HOME/NX/lib and $HOME/NX/bin as instructed in
the Installation guide (nx-X11, nxcomp, nxcompext, nxcompshad,
nxproxy).  I then uncompressed the freenx-server-0.7.3.tar.gz file and
issued the 'patch -p0 < gentoo-nomachine.diff'.

So far so good.

I edited the nxloadconfig file to point to $HOME/NX.  After fixing up a
couple of more things (nxagent version check and libXrender version) in
the nxloadconfig, I ran an nxloadconfig --check.

Warning: Could not find nxdesktop in $HOME/NX/bin. RDP sessions won't work.
Warning: Could not find nxviewer in $HOME/NX/bin. VNC sessions won't work.
Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/nxipp" is not executable.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" is not executable.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
          Users will not be able to request a CDE session.
Warning: Invalid cupsd version of "/usr/sbin/cupsd". Need version 1.2.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
head: cannot open `$HOME/NX/bin/nxnode-login' for reading: No such file
or directory
Error: expect necessary for $HOME/NX/bin/nxnode-login could not be found
in ''. Please install it or change nxnode-login accordingly.

   Errors occured during config check.
   Please correct the configuration file.

For now I ignored the Error and Warnings.

Doing a make appeared OK.  But when I do a make install I get this.

source nxloadconfig &&\
export PATH_BIN PATH_LIB CUPS_BACKEND NX_VERSION &&\
make nxenv_install
make[1]: Entering directory `$HOME/NX'
install -m755 -d /$PATH_BIN/
install -m755 -d /$PATH_LIB/
install -m755 -d /$NX_ETC_DIR/
install: cannot change permissions of `//': Operation not permitted
make[1]: *** [nxenv_install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `$HOME/NX'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I edited out my actual home directory in the stdout from above and
replaced it with $HOME.  So I have two problems.  One is the lack of
nxnode-login when I do the nxloadconfig check.  The other, more serious
problem, is the Error I'm receiving when I do the make install.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Ben