[FreeNX-kNX] Keyboard Mappings Continued

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Fri Apr 16 13:47:27 UTC 2010

I have a solution to my keyboard mapping problems, which I would like to
share with the list.

First my setup:

Server: Fedora 13 beta x64
Client: Fedora 13 beta x64

No Machine Client 3.4.07 on the Fedora 13 Beta client.

Problem:

Logging in I have no arrow keys, and the numeric keypad is mapped
wrong.   This was a game stopper as I wanted to use it with Remote
AutoCAD sessions.

I honestly couldn't find anything with respect to NX mapping keys, but
after looking at the code I found it was more of a X Windows problem,
than a NX problem.

You need to login to the nx session that is giving you keyboard
problems, and install xkeycaps:

First of all you should get the graphical front end to xmodmap.  In
Fedora 13 it was a:

yum install xkeycaps

Once you have xkeycaps running in your nx session, you right click on a
key, and then select the correct key on the right to remap it.  I had to
do this for my entire keypad, and arrow keys.

After you do that, it saves out a dot file to your local directory.

You have to execute "xmodmap <dot-file-wrtten-out-by-xkeycaps>"

Just pass the dot file to xmodmap, and presto, all of my issues are gone.

To make it permenant you will have to set that command in your bashrc or
bash_profile when you login to your NX session or you can execute
manually by hand when you need to.

Very nice little program, and so ends a very frustrating evening of not
having my keyboard mapped right in Fedora 13 under NX.

-gc