[FreeNX-kNX] Crashes when closing an application

Alex King alexcking at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 23:24:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz> wrote:

> Alex King <alexcking at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The following message appears in the nx log:
> >
> > 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1. To troubleshoot set
> > SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0 in node.conf and investigate "/home/marilyn/.nx/
> > F-C-cushn14-1025-B46698BBE414DD5A651FB3B3E242892C/session".
> >
> > I have done that but I can't see anything there to help me.
> >
> > If I bypass nx altogether by using xdmcp logins, everything works fine
> without
> > the crashes.
> >
> > How should I go about debugging in a situation like this?
>
> Is nxagent actually crashing? If so, get a stack trace from the core
> dump. That will almost certainly help someone diagnose the problem.
>
> I don't think so.  Where would the cores end up?

> If it is just exiting, and there is no diagnostic output pointing to
> why, then that's rather tricky.
>
> Does the problem happen every time you close an openoffice.org window,
> even if the app is still running, or does it happen only when closing

It doesn't do it consistently with ooo.  I can't easily make it happen, but
some users always crash when exiting the same document.

> the last window? Is the result the same when clicking on the close
> button in the window decoration, and when choosing the Close option from
> the File menu?
>
> Yes, the same through WM or app exit.

> One thing you could try is run with a different window manager (or no
> window manager) and see if anything changes.
>
> I initially thought it was a problem with gnome-session, but it turns out
it happens with at least XFCE and blackbox as well.  I think I tried KDE as
well.

I am thinking I need to build nx agent and nx libs and do a debug build, if
there is an option for that.

Cheers,
Alex