[FreeNX-kNX] Keyboard layout

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:10:13 UTC 2009

Update: setxkbmap works for me now, per David Mohr's reply and Google
search results.  But I'm still responding to these questions for
posterity and in case it's useful to others for improving NX.

Marcelo Boveto Shima wrote:
> Add the keyboard switch applet and verify its behavior.

I googled for 'keyboard switch apple nx' but couldn't find anything.

> This behavior happens on a fresh started session or a resumed session?

Both.

> The same happens with a linux client?

I don't know - I don't have access to a Linux client at the moment.

> Post the output of:
>  $xprop -root | grep XKB
> and
>  $gconftool-2 -a "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd"

$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "dvorak", "", ""

$ gconftool-2 -a "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd"
  layouts = [us,us	dvorak]
  options = [grp	grp:shifts_toggle]
  model =

> In my case the keyboard breaks when resuming the session using different
> computers. When a new layout to the gnome kbd settings is added (this will
> override the xkb options) and then fall back to the old settings the
> keyboard
> switch applet begins to work again.
>
> Let me know if this works for you too.
>
> Regards.
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Yang Zhang <yanghatespam at gmail.com
> <mailto:yanghatespam at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, I frequently switch between (US English) qwerty and dvorak keyboard
>     layouts, on both my Windows laptop (NX client) and my GNOME Ubuntu
>     workstation (FreeNX server). However, I find that I can't seem to get a
>     Dvorak layout when using NX - hitting the hotkey that normally switches
>     my Windows keyboard layout doesn't do anything for the NX window. Ditto
>     with the hotkey that switches my GNOME keyboard layout.
>
>     Any hints on how I might go about getting Dvorak? Thanks in advance!
>     --
>     Yang Zhang
>     http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/ <http://www.mit.edu/%7Ey_z/>
>         Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
>        Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:
>
>     http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ
>
>             Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
>                     http://www.nomachine.com/kb/

Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/