[FreeNX-kNX] Debian squeeze dbus issues

Bob Tracy rct at gherkin.frus.com
Thu May 7 21:39:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:01:19PM -0300, Marcelo Boveto Shima wrote:
> I think gnome-settings-manager is trying to use some new Xorg feature that
> nxagent doesn't support.
> You should start an xterm session and try to execute gnome-settings-daemon.
> If it doesn't run properly then you should try to revert to a previous
> version and identify
> the version that the problem started to appear.

gnome-settings-daemon fails with the same XI_BadClass error when started
from xterm within a FreeNX session (as expected).  For what it's worth,
there are currently open bugs against gnome-settings-daemon for the same
issue with other remote access methods.

Rolling back to an earlier version of gnome-settings-daemon is probably
not an easy thing to accomplish due to all the package dependencies :-(.
Another unfortunate observation: the version of gnome-settings-daemon
currently installed on "squeeze" is the same as what's current for the
Debian stable distro.

I guess I wait for a new "nxagent" based on a newer Xorg, or
gnome-settings-daemon gets fixed to work with older Xorg setups.  I
would guess the latter will happen first :-).