[FreeNX-kNX] Unable to open Display

Florian Schmidt fschmidt at gmx.at
Tue Jun 9 09:34:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

NX set's locally the Display to 1000 plus the session number (the first one
is 0) so the display on your NX server is unix:1000 -> the unix is used for
local socket operations only.

When you connect to an different machine you need a possibility to connect
and forwarding you X11 credentials automatically. Telnet doesn't support X11
forwarding (at least out of the box).

So I would suggest that you use ssh -X <hostname> instead to use X11
forwarding.

If there is any real reason (I can't see any in any case) that you are
forced to use telnet (I am wondering that this is still alive :) ) you can
set your display than on the machine by setenv DISPLAY
<loginserverhostname>:1000 (tcsh) or export
DISPLAY=<loginserverhostname>:1000 (bash) and than do an xhost
+<hostnamewhereItelnetedto> on your NX LoginServer.

Cheers,
Florian