[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX user's don't show as logged in ( on SuSE )

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Dec 17 17:30:42 UTC 2009

Matt.Nichols at tdcj.state.tx.us wrote on 17/12/2009 16:05:07:

> When I su to the 'nx' user and run the sessreg command I get the
> list of arguments it can be run with:
>
> sessreg: usage sessreg {-a -d} [-w wtmp-file] [-u utmp-file] [-L
lastlog-file]
>              [-t ttys-file] [-l line-name] [-h host-name]
>              [-s slot-number] [-x servers-file] user-name
>
> Should there be arguments to the 'sessreg' command included in node.
> conf? Or does some other component of NXserver handle passing it
arguments?

As Arcady says,

 . . . you need to check the group ownership of (because you run Suse)

        /var/log/wtmp
        /var/run/utmp

Because you run Suse, you will find these are group tty.

FreeNX setup puts user nx into utmp, not tty . . .

if [ "$ENABLE_USESSION" = "1" ]
        then
                echo -n "Adding user \"nx\" to group \"utmp\" ..."
                usermod -G utmp nx
                echo "done"
        fi

. . . so nx is unable to update wtmp / utmp unless you spot and
follow the instructions in the note in

        /etc/nxserver/node.conf

# Note: You have to make sure that you add the nx user to the
#       utmp or tty group or how its called on your system
#       before this directive works.

The last time of logging in file

        /var/log/lastlog

is not writeable by its group members, so you are out of luck
there unless you want to start moving from default.

FYI

The "missing" arguments to the sessreg command in freenx are on
the command line in nxserver.

$COMMAND_SESSREG -l ":$SESS_DISPLAY" -h "$USERIP" -a $USER 2>&1 |
log_error

Suse don't bother too much with updating their freenx rpms to their
way of doing things.

See one of my earlier posts if you want the missing

        /etc/init.d/freenx-server

"startup" script for cleaning up some of the previous sesssions mess
at boot time, though you will probably survive without it.

> Thanks,
>
> -Matt

        . . SNIP . .

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ