[FreeNX-kNX] Unexpected stopping of sessions

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Thu Dec 18 11:01:56 UTC 2008

"Freerk Kalsbeek" <f.kalsbeek at mindswitch.nl> writes:

> Already had a number of crashes this morning. I found out that there is a link
> to openoffice.
> Now I setup LTSP on the server to check whether this is NX or general X
> related. Unfortunately or fortunately this does not fix the problem.
>
> Conclusion for now is that OpenOffice is terminating the Xserver. (Ubuntu 8.04
> + Openoffice 2.4.1)
>
> Still looking for some help....

I have been running nx at our site for a while and we have had a
slightly similar problem.

What happens here is sometimes the session will become very slow and
unresponsive, and other times it will lock up completely. It doesn't
usually cause the nxagent to die, though.

Like your problem, this problem was also triggered by using
openoffice. It would not happen immediately, but at random after
openoffice had been used for a while.

Someone suggested setting the disk cache to 0 in the client. This
definitely helped a lot with the problem, but it is not clear whether it
is completely eliminated--we still have a lot of issues.

Anyway, you could try this configuration change and see if it helps with
your problem.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>