[FreeNX-kNX] can't open display when running nxproxy

Mark Scheufele mark.scheufele at diasemi.com
Fri Sep 21 07:51:36 UTC 2007

Hi All,

not sure whether this is the correct place to ask this question, but I
didn't found any other mailing list regarding the nx line of products.
Therefore I thought I would give it a try.

I have compiled nxproxy on solaris and have as well installed the freenx
client package from the nomachine website on the solaris machines that
are participating in the tunnel. When I try to setup a tunnel I do the
following.

- login to the machine where the xclient programm will be started and
run the following command:

<mscheufe at sweng19:~>/opt/nx/bin/nxproxy -C :1000

NXPROXY - Version 3.0.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '14584'.
Session: Starting session at 'Fri Sep 21 08:28:10 2007'.
Info: Waiting for connection from any host on port '5000'.
Info: Accepted connection from '10.1.19.33'.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using lan link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using agent parameters 5000/0/0/0/0.
Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session ''.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Listening to X11 connections on display ':8'.
Session: Session started at 'Fri Sep 21 08:28:11 2007'.

- login to the machine where the xclient application should be
displayed. There I run nxproxy to connect to
  the nxproxy instance on the machine where I want to start the xclient
programm.

<mscheufe at nbeng33:~>/opt/nx/bin/nxproxy -S sweng19:1000

NXPROXY - Version 3.0.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '17848'.
Session: Starting session at 'Fri Sep 21 09:28:07 2007'.
Info: Connecting to remote host 'sweng19:5000'.
Info: Connection to remote proxy 'sweng19:5000' established.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: No proxy cookie was provided for authentication.
Info: Forwarding the real X authorization cookie.
Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session ''.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display 'zippy.diasemi.de:0'.
Session: Session started at 'Fri Sep 21 09:28:11 2007'.

After doing that I logged in to the machine where I want to run the
xclient (sweng19) and fired up xclock. But I get the error message
"Error: Can't open display: :8".

I am now having two questions. Is the way I am running nxproxy correct?
If yes why can't the xclient not open Display :8

It would be really great if someone could answer my questions, even if
they might not totally be related to the normal content of the list.

Thanks in advance,

mark
Dialog Semiconductor GmbH
Neue Str. 95
D-73230 Kirchheim
Managing Director: Dr. Jalal Bagherli
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gregorio Reyes
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart: HRB 231181
UST-ID-Nr. DE 811121668

Legal Disclaimer: This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) is confidential and
contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Access
to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.