[FreeNX-kNX] Kerberos & FreeNX

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Fri May 25 16:28:19 UTC 2007

   ----- Melding fra henrik at stat.tamu.edu ---------
    Dato: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:06:37 -0500
     Fra: Henrik Schmiediche <henrik at stat.tamu.edu>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Kerberos & FreeNX
     Til: 'User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client' <freenx-knx at kde.org>

>         Hello,
>
> I am running FreeNX-0.5.0-25 & NX-1.5.0-73 on Suse 10.2. NX work fine out of
> the box with local or NIS account. When I enable Kerberos to do user
> authentication (against a Windows domain) NX stops to function. The command:

Try to search this list for the topic "NX and PAM" from April 2007 -
think you might get some help from that.

> results in an immediate closed connection. If I disable Kerberos
> authentication then the above command works as it should and NX client
> logins work. Note that I can ssh into the system and authenticate just fine
> when using ssh with Kerberos. The problem only appears when using NX.

   NX logs in a user 'nx' via a ssh connection using ssh keys
(NoMachine or private generated) and when this is successfully
established, the _actual_ authentication of the users executes/starts.
IMHO you need to first allow the ssh-connection for the user 'nx',
then use Kerberos to authenticate the users from the AD-Domain. All
this you control via PAM.

    /Terje