[FreeNX-kNX] [FreeNX-kNX / X++ Booster] FreeNX namechange

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Jul 20 07:19:00 UTC 2007

cedric briner wrote:
>> I still have to say that I think the name should completely change
>> from FreeNX to help stop confusion from the existing "prototype"
>> version (as Fabain called it) to the new one, and to also help
>> differenciate "FreeNX" from NoMachine's NXServer.
>
> For my self, I do abond in this sense.
>
> Because, do you think, that the name should refer to the X protocol. How
> many people does know about this ? not that much in my opinion!
>
> _I think that the name should contain information for non expert_
>
> I do propose the name V.L.S.C. which stand for
>

>           Very Long Screen Cable

Very original thought -- I like it. Just the resulting 4 letter thingie
doesn't sound sexy at all.

In this spirit, how about 'velocity-s'? (VEry LOng Cable InTo Your Screen)

It's also not too exciting, but I'm sure people can come up with a 'word'
that sounds good and transports the idea of the long screen cable as
well.

> Here is my motivation:
>
> As a sysadmin of the Geneva Observatory, I have the duty to find words
> which explain in a comprehensive/fast way what a software is for.
>
> So I just tell them:
>
>   - Hey men, this software allows you to connect to your main station
> >from everywhere.
>   - Like for instance:
>   - Imagine that you are at work.
>   - And you use FreeNX from your machine to your machine (you don't see
> the point.. then wait)
>   - FreeNX is just like the cable of your screen, nothing more !
>   - When you log out from FreeNX, it is like pulling away your screen cable.
>   - Your applications still run on your machine, But you can not see them.
>
> And now, listen to the beautifull:
>
>   - Imagine that you have to leave your work to go home
>   - But you have to finish your job too.
>   - So now you would like to pull a VeryLongScreenCable from your work
> to your home to continue your work
>   - Then...
>   - Just use FreeNX at home, and you will get your screen back as you
> left it at your job
>   - The application will be there as if you will be at your work !
>   - Now... I'm sure that you _do_ see the point... do you ? :)
>   - And unbelievably, it is damn fast and really clear.
>

> Well this was the explanation, on how this VeryLongScreenCable come from.
>

> I've also made some icon by hand (sorry no glossy icon with svg :( )
> that you can see on my blog:
> http://yuhl.blogspot.com/2007/07/verylongscreencable-new-freenx-name.html

Nice ideas too!  :-)

> my 4 cents to ``da'' project !

4 cents?  *4* ?!?

You're not the inventor of humility, are you?   :-)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS