[FreeNX-kNX / X++ Booster] Problem with some keys in Java apps with NX

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Mon Jul 16 18:24:15 UTC 2007

Achim Bursian wrote:
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Gregory Carter wrote:
>
>> I would assume our German friends have a "{" key for example.  When you
>> press that what happens?
>>
> I do have a german keyboard :) And the { is on the 7 key :(. This is what
> makes it so hard to code on a German keyboard, but that's another issue...

{ is on the 7 key?

That is freaky.  :-)

>> My guess is, your running a German installation of Windows, and the
>> Solaris box is configured as an American installation (key mappings).
>>
>> If that is the case, you will need to convert the .xsession information
>> from American to German on the Solaris box.
>>
>> Perhaps a Solaris expert here can tell us where those settings are in
>> the X installation of Solaris?
>>

> Well, as I stated already, all other X apps (including xev) report the right
> keysyms. So the basic setup is correct.

So, when you run say, any other X app except the Java ones through a NX
session, the key mapping AS IS works OK?

If it is JUST the java applications?

That is odd, but it could be due to the fact that the JVM is running
under a xorg.conf configuration in your Solaris X windows that is
confusing it.

I would suggest, trying a variety of keyboard types in your xorg.conf
file (If solaris has that....don't know...).

For example, I had similair problems with a french version of NX and
Windows and fixed it by declaring a french keyboard config on the server
side that was running the JVM.

There was like 20 variants so I had to try all of them, I got lucky it
only took about 5 attempts.

:-)

(i.e in X on a Linux machine there is a xorg.conf file with this
section: Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Try seeing if you can go into your solaris X config and change the
keyboard layout and stop/start the netbeans session up again and see if
it is correct from the windows side.

I am not sure if you have to stop and start the nxserver, I didn't have too.

-gc