[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX cups printing authentication

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Jun 26 07:46:32 UTC 2006

Your problemis no longer with NX but with CUPS on the server. One of the
filters in the chain used to produce the data to send to the printer is
failing, and the error message and level of logging at that point in CUPS are
particularly unhelpful in trying to track down exactly what or why. I think
the system CUPS on our server was perfectly happy, but that the usermode CUPS
started by NX failed with this error. This makes me think there's a
permissions problem somewhere, but I didn't track it down. A workaround is to
get the processing done at the client end using the client's CUPS drivers. I
don't remember exactly how I did this and don't have my notes to hand, but I
think I covered it on one of the earlier posts. It involves bypassing the
nxclient call that displays the printer driver selection dialogue and sets
the MODEL variable since you no longer need it, and changing the subsequent
lpadmin arguments. These are towards the end of function cmd_node_addprinter
in nxnode again.

The 'AuthType' part was an attempt to fix the authentication before I found
out about changing the IPP url from localhost to an IP address or name. It
was all part of the learning experience.