[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX cups printing authentication

Pieter Thysebaert pieter.thysebaert at intec.ugent.be
Sat Jun 24 12:12:09 UTC 2006

Alastair Johnson wrote:
> You need to modify /usr/bin/nxnode function cmd_node_addprinter() to include the username and password when setting up the CUPS printer, and change the host from localhost to the hostname or IP address. Change the line:
> 	DEVICE_URI="ipp://localhost:$port/printers/$printer"
> to:
> 	DEVICE_URI="ipp://$username:$password@your_hostname_here:$port/printers/$printer"
>
> I _think_ the change from localhost to actual hostname is needed because CUPS uses token-based authentication for localhost instead of the usual challenge-response methods. Normally this is fine, but since we are port-forwarding to a non-local cups we need the challenge-response, so we need something that resolves to the local machine but isn't localhost (or 127.0.0.1 for that matter)

Thanks for your reply, I can now see the printer !

However, I've stumbled across a problem that you seem to have run into
as well:
All jobs printed on the NX server side are immediately cancelled ("Have
you installed ESP ghostscript").

In the archives, I found that you changed "AuthType Digest" to type
Basic on the client side user cupsd.

For me, this does not seem to make a difference.

IPP_PORT=... lpr test.txt still produces errors like

Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 7!
I [24/Jun/2006:14:08:58 +0200] Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?

Do you know of anything else that needs some work before I can actually
print ?

Thx,
Pieter