[FreeNX-kNX] How to quit NX session?

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Jul 30 12:23:21 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> I now managed to login to NX running on Gentoo Linux. On this machine,
> I do NOT have KDE or Gnome (fully) installed. Instead, I'm using
> the WM qvwm.
>
> What do I have to do, to properly quit the NX session?
>
> When I try to quit the NX client running on my Ubuntu client, nothing
> at all happens. I try to quit it, by right clicking on it in the
> Gnome panel and selecting "quit" (or by clicking on the quit "icon"
> in the window frame).

I think I found the reason.

In ~/.nx/C-hetzner-1000-22AE0F86E0840D789E91259774162098/session, there's:

nxclient.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/NX/lib/libXcompext.so.1: cannot make segment writable for relocation: Permission denied

This line gets added, when I try to quit the application.

I should mention that I'm using a hardened kernel on the Gentoo host.

On http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml#paxnoelf I find:

| To disable this error and allow your program to run, you must sacrifice
| security and allow runtime code generation for that program. The PaX
| feature that allows you to do that is called MPROTECT. You must disable
| MPROTECT on whatever executable is using the non-PIC library.

What executable is using the non-PIC library /usr/NX/lib/libXcompext.so.1?

Alexander Skwar
--
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
		-- The Book of Bokonon / Kurt Vonnegut Jr.