[FreeNX-kNX] Install FreeNX to a different diretory for Side-by-Side installation.

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sun Jul 9 11:27:33 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2006 20:51 schrieb Jon Scruggs:
> Hi,
>
> I did a quick search on Google but could not find information on this.
> I read on the FreeNX website that one can do a Side-by-Side
> installation with a !M server, but FreeNX needs to be installed to a
> different directory.

Yes.

> The components for NX are installed to /usr/NX/{bin,lib,etc}, so what
> do I need to change in nxloadconfig to point to the directory that
> FreeNX will be installed to? If I change $NX_DIR, then it doesn't
> point to the correct directory for all the NX components. I would like
> FreeNX to be installed to: /usr/NX/freenx, and then the !M server and
> NX components installed to /usr/NX/{bin,lib,etc} as usual.

So you want to be lazy and let FreeNX use the open source components of the
commercially installed server? ;-)

I normally do it like that:

- Install !M nxserver

- Download FreeNX

- Apply gentoo-nomachine.diff

- mkdir -p /usr/NX/freenx/{bin,etc}

- cp -a nx* /usr/NX/freenx/bin

- Change in nxloadconfig $NX_DIR to /usr/NX/freenx/

- Edit /usr/NX/freenx/etc/node.conf and add the forwarding by port directives.

- Fix nxsetup with the one from current SVN

- Create the following symlinks:

cd /usr/NX/freenx/bin

ln -s ../../bin/* . # ignore the warning messages

cd ..

ln -s ../lib .

- Run nxsetup

Done.

> Also, what else needs to be changed to do this?
>
> Something I have been wondering. Can the latest FreeNX use the !M
> nxnode from the 2.0.0 release? Or even use nxnode at all?

Why would you want to do this?

Is there any advantage I have overseen?

If you just want to install the node with FreeNX, just run nxsetup --uninstall
or never install it in the first place. It can still be used just as a node.

cu

Fabian

--
      *** Consulting - Training - Workshops - Troubleshooting ***
   @@@ LiveCDs (Knoppix), Debian, Remote Desktop Access (FreeNX) @@@

--- Fabian Franz --- www.fabian-franz.de --- consulting at fabian-franz.de