[FreeNX-kNX] Invalid Magic Cookie? (was Re: NX 2.0.0)

David Guntner davidg at akaMail.com
Sun Jul 9 00:05:10 UTC 2006

Tyler Ellis grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> [Sorry if this doesn't make much sense]
>     If you can read my long email from earlier you may see where im
> going with this.. Basically i think that the nxclient (programmed in
> python or vb something that     is not compiled against cygwin1.dll) is
> misshandling the location of .xauthority file and that it is assuming it
> should write it to some location... nxclient writes it to say
> C:\documents and settings\administrator\.xauthority     (who know's
> where it is really), where as NXWin/NXauth looks for it in the cygwin
> enviroment of /home/administrator/.xauthority  as it was compiled
> against the cygwin1.dll

Only thing is, I've never had cygwin installed on the Windows desktop in
question, where the NX Client has been installed.  So I'm going to be
surprised if I find that dll anywhere. :-)  It's truely bizzare - the
desktop had 1.5 running like a champ.  I brought the freenx scripts up to
where they should be to make them 0.5.0 (manually copying from the source
tarball and making sure the config files all pointed to the correct
locations, etc.).  Then when I uninstalled 1.5 from the desktop system and
installed 2.0, I start getting this weird error.  On the laptop system,
which has never had NX installed on it, I installed 2.0 and it can connect
to the Linux freenx server with absolutely no problems what-so-ever.

> The other thing it may be is the way the new client encodes spaces as
> indicted earlier on the list and also included in this email..

If that were my problem, I'd think I'd be having it with the laptop as
well, wouldn't I?

I just wish I could get this $#@!ing thing working. :-/

I'll look into the things you mention in your posting, thanks for the
information.  If anyone can think of anything else, I'd love to hear about
it.

               --Dave