[FreeNX-kNX] RDP and FreeNX - poor experience compared to direct RDP

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 10:20:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 15:20 -0800, Chetan Venkatesh wrote:
> Sorry - I dont see the point you're making.
>
> My tests show that over a poor connection pushing RDP through NX is
> slower than directly connecting rdesktop to a windows box, while what
> I've read is that RDP can be compressed by NX to give you a better RDP
> experience.
>
> If someone has actually worked this out and gotten better results than
> I have - I'd like to hear from you on how you did it.
>
> Thanks in Advance!

Hello Chetan,

What are the hardware specs of the computers used as the NX Client and
the NX Server? It's possible that if you used a very slow machine for
either one, or both, then the bottleneck of compressing and encrypting
the data would outweigh the (claimed; I've not tested it myself)
reduction in the amount of bandwidth necessary for the connection.

There's also the issue of lag. If it is the _lag time*_ which governs
the quality of experience of your remote connection, and the bandwidth
limit for the connection has not been reached, then adding the NX
compression will not affect the quality of experience and in fact, will
only slows things down due to the extra computation time required for
each packet.

Seb James
--
William Matthew Ltd.
Nomachine Thin Clients: http://www.wmltd.co.uk/sumo.html

* How long it takes for one packet to arrive unmangled at its
destination _plus_ the time for the TCP acknowledgement packet to be
returned correctly. This can be pretty lengthy with a poor quality
analogue modem.