[FreeNX-kNX] bringing NX forward (was Compiling NX1.5.0 on amd64)

Haakon Meland Eriksen haakon at nhn.no
Fri Sep 30 08:48:08 UTC 2005

Dear NX friends,

Friday 30 September 2005 00:45, Sunil wrote:
> I feel bad saying this but the only person trolling on
> this list has been Gian himself. This guy, Xiong, was
> frustrated with his problems

As a new member of the list, I didn't receive Xiong's initial request for help
so I cannot comment on that. However, I did the receive the replies, and I
find it neccessary to support Sunil. Gian, go outside and get a breath of
fresh air, curse the sky and reply to annoying requests when you are not
frustrated.

I joined the list as a curious user, because we are playing with NX at the
moment. We tried to do that within the evaluation period gratefully offered
by NoMachine, but because of other work this was not possible to complete,
which turned us to FreeNX. We find NoMachines offer to be inexpensive, yet
need more time to try before we buy and so on.

We have a large number of customers, their accounts are created in an OpenLDAP
directory. At the moment we use another thin client solution, which requires
that the account information is recreated in another directory, there are
some other problems, and it costs more. Once the setup is done, it works
fairly well with 60-70 users at the same time giving little load. Using PAM,
OpenLDAP and NX we are able to use only one directory solution on a low cost
solution, and at the same time offer software to customers on Microsoft
Windows. Our initial server side seems OK, however there are a few hick-ups
with the nxclient for Windows. I going to try the latest version to see if
these are gone.

As a user, I know that my contributions to this list mostly will not solve
bugs or contribute any code. Sorry, Giani. Yet, I believe that as a systems
administrator or "NX distributor" to customers, describing my problems here -
to the great people that created this fantastic software - is the best place
on earth to do it. Who else has the know-how? Nobody better! :-) So here is
an idea I'd like to play share with you, and hopefully receive some comments:

Since we don't control the client side at all, it would be beneficial if the
Windows client could packaged manually using Nullsoft Scriptable Install
System, available at http://nsis.sourceforge.net/. The customer could then
receive a specially built installation package, with no manual setup what so
ever. Just install and off you go. Now that is not possible with the What do
you think?

Yours sincerely,
Haakon Meland Eriksen