[FreeNX-kNX] buggy "Apple" key support with latest mac client and ubuntu server

lists.freenx at web19.eml.cc lists.freenx at web19.eml.cc
Tue Sep 27 19:03:24 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 16:02, Valentin LAB wrote:
> I'm using on the client side the latest macosX client (1.5.0-106).
>
> The problem is simple :
>
> I have no "Alt" key.
>
> Here are some info gathered
> - in a nx session : gnome-keyboard-properties is configured as
> having a "Macintosh" Model
> - in a nx session : gnome-keyboard-properties crashes when trying
> to add a new layout with this error-msg :
>
> ** (gnome-keyboard-properties:26252): CRITICAL **: XkbGetKeyboard
> failed to get keyboard from the server!
>
> - Apple key was working as "Alt" key in previous version of
> nxclient/nxserver...
>
> - The "alt/option" key of the mac keyboard permitted access to the
> right button of the mouse. A similar action seems to try to occur
> with the "Apple" key BUT THIS SCREWS THE MOUSE OUT OF ALL CONTROL
> OF THE NX WINDOW. (resizing the nx viewport works, and when
> quitting nxclient with the red "x" outputs the standard msg with
> terminate/resume/cancel, but you can not click on them...) -> This
> bug impluy that I have no acces to the right mouse button.
>
> - Using the gnome key shortcut app, which displays a label for the
> key you are supposed to have pressed, I see that "Apple" key is
> beeing caught as "Mod2", and alt/option key give very strange
> complicated result <alt/opt + a> gives "ae" key label, <alt/opt +
> z> gives "acirconflex"... etc ...
>
> - my X11 client is the default one provided for macosx.
> - X11/preferences/Input do not change anything anymore (it did
> solve some problem on version 1.4 of the client).
> - on the server, it seems that I have no "--kbtype" option set
> while PC client seems to send a specific "--kbtype" argument
>
> Please Help !!!
> Thanks for all support...
>
> Valentin LAB

Hi Valentin,

Keyboard support in X is a bit hairy to sort out, and adding Mac OS X
to the mix doesn't make it any easier unfortunately!

Some things to try:

- In your X11.app preferences, make sure you have "Emulate three
button mouse" checked.  That way the local X11 can translate
option-click and command-click into presses of button 2 and button 3,
rather than having to try to figure out how to get GNOME to do that.
- In your X11.app preferences, make sure you have "Use the system
keyboard layout" UNchecked, to keep the Mac OS X keyboard layout from
changing the X11 keyboard layout
- In your X11.app preferences, make sure you have "Enable keyboard
shortcuts under X11" UNchecked, to keep Mac OS X from "stealing" some
of your keyboard shortcuts.
- Inside your NX session, you can use the tool xev to see what X
events are being sent by various keys / mouse buttons / etc.  There's
a lot of output and it can be confusing but you'll get to see exactly
what keycode, keysym, and modifier bits are being sent when you press
each key.
- the X manual page (man X) has some confusing information on keycodes
and keysyms in the Keyboard section.
- the xmodmap manual page (man xmodmap) might be more helpful.
- you can try using my .Xmodmap settings and see if they work for you.
Save the attached .Xmodmap file to your home directory and activate
it within your nx session by running

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

- try other keyboard layouts in Gnome inside your NX session.  I think
macintosh keyboard layouts have changed over time and what Gnome
thinks is a macintosh keyboard may not match what X11.app is sending
across the NX session.

Hope this helps,
-Jesse