[FreeNX-kNX] buggy "Apple" key support with latest mac client and ubuntu server

Valentin LAB vaab at tharbad.ath.cx
Tue Sep 6 20:02:43 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm using seveas.ubuntulinux.nl repository with their freenx package
which depends on and install these libs on my ubuntu :

nxagent-1.5.0-90
nxauth-1.5.0-1
nxcomp-1.5.0-65
nxcompext-1.5.0-16
nxproxy-1.5.0-9
nxviewer-1.5.0-14
nxdesktop-1.5.0-61
nx-X11-1.5.0-15

which are the latest "stable release" as stated on the nomachine
website.

I'm using on the client side the latest macosX client (1.5.0-106).

The problem is simple :

I have no "Alt" key.

Here are some info gathered
- in a nx session : gnome-keyboard-properties is configured as having a
"Macintosh" Model
- in a nx session : gnome-keyboard-properties crashes when trying to add
a new layout with this error-msg :

** (gnome-keyboard-properties:26252): CRITICAL **: XkbGetKeyboard failed
to get keyboard from the server!

- Apple key was working as "Alt" key in previous version of
nxclient/nxserver...

- The "alt/option" key of the mac keyboard permitted access to the right
button of the mouse. A similar action seems to try to occur with the
"Apple" key BUT THIS SCREWS THE MOUSE OUT OF ALL CONTROL OF THE NX
WINDOW. (resizing the nx viewport works, and when quitting nxclient with
the red "x" outputs the standard msg with terminate/resume/cancel, but
you can not click on them...) -> This bug impluy that I have no acces to
the right mouse button.

- Using the gnome key shortcut app, which displays a label for the key
you are supposed to have pressed, I see that "Apple" key is beeing
caught as "Mod2", and alt/option key give very strange complicated
result <alt/opt + a> gives "ae" key label, <alt/opt + z> gives
"acirconflex"... etc ...

- my X11 client is the default one provided for macosx.
- X11/preferences/Input do not change anything anymore (it did solve
some problem on version 1.4 of the client).
- on the server, it seems that I have no "--kbtype" option set while PC
client seems to send a specific "--kbtype" argument

Please Help !!!
Thanks for all support...

Valentin LAB