[FreeNX-kNX] Running Remote Apps in a Floating Window - XP Client

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Tue Sep 27 01:26:16 UTC 2005

Hello,

Same server and client as in my message about printing: Windows XP,
1.5 client, Mandriva Linux 2005 LE (a.k.a. 10.2) server
running freenx 0.4.4, another machine on the same network as the
Windows XP client running Mandriva Linux 2005 LE with the NX Client
1.5.

I can get a remote KDE desktop with both XP and a Linux client with no
problems. I configured the NX Client on Linux to run a shell script
when it connects to the NX server and display the result in a
floating window. The shell script sets some environment variables and
then invokes a PyQt client. This works marvelously on Linux. The only
way that anyone can tell this is not a local application is that the
initial window for the PyQt application, a login window, appears as a
blank window for about 30 seconds and eventually redraws to show the
fields and buttons. Once authenticated, the subsequent windows are
just as responsive as any local window. Kudos to the folks at !M and
the FreeNX team.

When I attempt to run the same shell script with the NX Client running
on XP, it will stall at the "Initializing X protocol compression" and
eventually time out. Subsequent attempts to connect will pop up the
"NX - Available sessions" window which will list previous failed
attempts that are not visible with nxserver --list. I cannot
terminate or resume those sessions. They hang around forever.

1. Why is the XP Client not able to run the same shell script that the
Linux client runs without a problem? How can I get the XP NX Client
to behave as nicely as the Linux client?

2. Why do failed connection attempts show up in the available sessions
list but are not seen in the nxserver --list?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation