[FreeNX-kNX] Black Screen after Auth

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Oct 5 17:52:11 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 16:52, Dan Boger wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 02:29:26PM -0000, jimjano at ptd.net wrote:
> > Yes I get the red logo for a few seconds, then all black.  I tried KDE, Gnome,
> > Custom...I tried them all.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> I get the same problem - I connect, but I never am able to have a
> session start up automatically.  What I've been doing is sshing to the
> same server, and executing
>
> (cd; DISPLAY=localhost:1000 gnome-session&)
>
> Which starts up gnome in the NX session.

...if the red !M window top does indeed display the :1000 string too  ;-)

I do not know at all why this is so weird on your systems. Maybe
Fedora has a custom wrapper script to startup KDE? By default, NX
and FreeNX look to execute "startkde" for bringing up a KDE session.

> But if anyone knows of a way
> to fix the automatic startup, that would be great :)

Dan, instead of ssh-ing into the box, what about defining a "Unix -->
--> Custom" session type, with the "Settings... --> Run the following
command:" set up to "gnome-session" ?

Does that help your case?

Cheers,
Kurt