[FreeNX-kNX] Windows 98 Compatability

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Sun Nov 6 18:10:51 UTC 2005

>>NX is a major breakthrough for X.  Why are so few people interested?
>

> I run a server that 5 users from across the continent use through VNC.  I
> also run a school lab that relies heavily on VNC.
>
> The VNC sessions we use run for months at a time with no issues.
> They are also sharable, which is critical at times.
>
> NX looks promising.  We tried it out for a while.  But the problems with
> resuming interrupted sessions, the windows clients, and the non-sharing
> aspect to the sessions make it not as attractive ATM.
>
> Just my observations.

I agree, nx (well, it's open source version) is not yet very stable.

I too have problems:

- resuming sessions (basically, it never seems to work if the IP of the
client changes),
- VNC sessions don't work anymore for me and many more users since an
upgrade to nx-1.5.0 and freenx-0.4.4,
- inability to share a session among many users (i.e., when a technical
user instruct some other user how to perform a task),
- after some time of using FreeNX/nx, I have lots of nx user processes,
clearly not belonging anywhere - I just need to kill them with "skill -9 nx"

I would even consider buying a nomachine server, but I'm not sure it
would solve the above problems.

Perhaps if !M employees visited this list, and posted replies "however,
we can guarantee that VNC sessions and resuming sessions work 100%
reliably with commercial !M server", or "shared sessions are planned for
commercial NX-2.0 which is planned to be released in early 2006, but we
have an early beta for all !M customers..." etc.

Other option would be if !M offered paid support for FreeNX users.

My 2 cents, NX is a great technology, but is has its problems, one
problem being communication with prospect clients.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org