[FreeNX-kNX] Windows 98 Compatability

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Nov 6 17:26:58 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

>1) FreeNX isn't nomachine
>2) Trolling is unwelcome
>
>Nomachine and FreeNX have done a truly amazing job with the NX
>technology and do not deserve such disrespect.

I wouldn't automatically consider a post critical of NX platform
coverage to be a troll.

Anyway, you are correct that NX is an amazing technology.  !M succeeded
in an area where Keith Packard tried, and then threw up his hand in
dispair and gave up (LBX).

What I can't understand is why NX is not making a bigger splash than it
is.  Many in the OSS community have never heard about it, though VNC is
well known enough.

Shutting down their user mailing list (and disabling access to the
archives!) was probably not the best move from the standpoint of
boosting NX's popularity within the community. (The "shutting down the
list to focus on development" justification"  kind of made sense.  The
"closing access to the archives" part was never really explained.)
Though I do, of cource, give them big points for open-sourcing the core
technology.

I just joined this list on Friday.  And granted, weekends are always
kind of slow for tech mailing lists.  But I've been a bit surprised at
just how dead this list is.  Is *everybody* using X on a local machine
or over a LAN these days?

NX is a major breakthrough for X.  Why are so few people interested?

Perhaps if Freenx server were delivered as an integral part of distros
it would catch up to (or surpass) VNC in popularity.

Not a troll.  Just an observation.

-Steve Bergman