[FreeNX-kNX] how to change default behavior when logging out of KDE

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Fri May 13 20:57:17 UTC 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:54, Terje Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there anyone who knows how to disable the screen "repainting" when
> chosing to log out of KDE? I've tried to search for a way to change this,
> but i have no luck...
>
> To explain why; when logging out of KDE, the background (behind the
> logout-dialog) is repainted with gray color, but this takes "forever" (6-10
> sec) with NX (at least on my setup), so I thought I would disable this so
> that the logout-dialog only came on top of the existing
> applications/desktop. My hope was to speed up the logout process when using
> NX.
>
> Anyone who have a tip for me ?
>
> /Terje

Some update/fork to this subject...
On my search to get the "desktop user-experience" a faster one on my FreeNX
(Debian) box, I came over 'prelink'.
(This try to do what MS has been working on in the last years (prefetching);
to make the startup of the OS and applications be as fast as possible, with
the "HW as limit".)

I've experienced that this really helps on my Debian system, making both the
login process and, generally, working with applications (like OpenOffice.org)
and the window manager (KDE/Gnome) more faster.

I haven't played much with prelink yet, so far all I have done is basic:

1. installed prelink ('apt-get install prelink')
2. 'prelink --all --conserve-memory --random'
3. edited /etc/default/prelink (changed 'PRELINKING=unknown' to
'PRELINKING=yes')
....and presto! It helped! :-)

Just a tip from my side, but you people probably knows about this
already.... :-)

More on prelink, and other optimization pointers, can be found here:

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?LinuxSpeedup
http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/195
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips

PS! Anyone tried OpenOffice.org Quickstarter for KDE? On my system it resulted
in some funny stuff with FreeNX.... If I logged in as the same user twice,
OpenOffice.org Writer would (among others) start on the second session if
closed on the first.... A session-bug in FreeNX, or a bug in the
Quickstarter ?

/Terje