[FreeNX-kNX] Tasks - Has someone too much time? ;-)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Mar 21 11:18:27 UTC 2005

Am Montag, 21. März 2005 07:41 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 02:23, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > Tasks for nxc our new nxclient structure:
> >
> > http://developer.berlios.de/pm/task.php?group_project_id=838&group_id=297
> >8& func=browse
>
> i've been looking at these over the last couple evenings ... i'm a bit
> concerned in a few areas and have a lot of questions...

Ok, I'll try to answer them. Hopefully Lawrence will also find some time to
work on that.

> basically, i'm wrapping a new GUI around this and looking to help make nxc
> feature complete. the challenges i have:

Btw. for an example usage I attached you a small patch I did for the old kNX.

> 	o no documentation. this makes getting involved with this 10x harder than
> it should be. can we please adopt a go-forward policy of documenting at
> least all public and protected members in classes?

Please at least read the announcment of the joining of the nxc project:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2005-March/000944.html

So you see we are mostly using old OSS NoMachine code here.

> doxygen style comments
> would rock. also, documentation for config files, etc.. is needed. this can
> be gleaned by visiting N pages on the 'net, but that's N-1 too many ;) ...
> and really, an overall "this is the general architecture of nxc" paper
> would also be very, very good.

Lawrence wanted to write a development hackers guide. But he did not have the
time to work on that, yet.

> 	o no tests. this is of a slightly lower priority than documentation ;) but
> for this sort of software, having unit tests is going to be critical,
> especially as this needs to be able to keep up with NoMachine changes _and_
> remain compatible / non-broken with FreeNX and itself. do the current
> authors have any preference when it comes to testing frameworks?
>
> 	o revision control. i had a bit of a hard time finding where the sources
> for nxc was, as most of the FreeNX stuff is now in subversion but the nxc
> stuff is in CVS? will nxc be moving to svn sometime? or will it be staying
> in CVS?

Just thinnx/gnx is in SVN. Most other things are still in CVS.

> 	o code quality. i wonder why we are using unsigned ints and "#define TRUE
> 1" when we have booleans in C++ ... or why all ^M's the end of lines? or
> the references to MOZ_NX (e.g. in NXRunVersion.h) is there some history
> here that i should be aware of? or some odd compatibility issues? because
> some of my first desires is to do some janitorial work so i can read the
> code more efficiently. this is to aid my understand of what's going on
> since i don't have the luxury of documentation. but i don't want to spend
> time doing something that's not useful.

Yes, there is a history. It was programmed by NoMachine. The Reference to
MOZNX was, because moznx was the first usage of the nxdriver library, before
it was a library.

> 	o bug report quality. there are reports that mention crashes but don't
> include backtraces.

Huh? I haven't seen any bug report according to nxc....

> there are vague references to classes, which sends me
> off grepping around. these reports are filed by the authors, so i'd expect
> things like backtraces, file names, etc... these all make it vastly easier
> for someone to get into the project productively.
>
> 	o where do i send patches for nxclient to?

You mean nxc. You send them to FreeNX-kNX list, to me (I won't have much time
next weeks) or to Lawrence Roufail.

You can also get CVS access if you want to - as I trust you.

> 	o what syncing will need to be done with NoMachine's efforts, if any?

No syncing for now.

> 	o does anyone on this project hang out on IRC ever, and if so where?

Sometimes on irc.freenode.net #nx

> i'm sure i'll have more questions in the days to come as i continue to ramp
> up and hack on this.

Aaron: Please at least try to read the mailing list archives, I think most
questions you are asking are there.

cu

Fabian