[FreeNX-kNX] FUSE / SSHFS

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 10:24:47 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 07:57, Murray Trainer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just discovered and tried out sshfs.
>
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

It needs a Kernel 2.6.14 or newer (or a patching and recompilation of
a previous versions), and we can not (yet) assume that this Kernel is
common.

> It allows you to mount a remote filesystem locally via an ssh tunnel.
> Nothing needs to be done on the server end for it to work.  It seems to
> work pretty well between Linux systems over a WAN.  Not sure if it works
> on Windows under CYGWIN yet? f

No.

> I'm wondering if this may be a possible
> alternative to using Samba for NX/FreeNX file sharing.

We'll be using the fish protocol (in the shape "nxfish") soon in FreeNX
(but this will work only for KDE sessions from a client that has an SSH
server running.

> Seems like it
> would be less problematic for users to setup than samba and maybe even
> perform better.

Right. Samba is still a pain to setup.

> One question I would have for anyone familiar with ssh/sshfs is whether
> it would be possible on the server end to disallow direct ssh login
> access for users while still allowing access to their files via
> sshfs.

Not sure right now. Can you just try it?