[FreeNX-kNX] FUSE / SSHFS

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Mon Dec 12 07:57:10 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Just discovered and tried out sshfs.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

It allows you to mount a remote filesystem locally via an ssh tunnel.
Nothing needs to be done on the server end for it to work.  It seems to
work pretty well between Linux systems over a WAN.  Not sure if it works
on Windows under CYGWIN yet?  I'm wondering if this may be a possible
alternative to using Samba for NX/FreeNX file sharing.  Seems like it
would be less problematic for users to setup than samba and maybe even
perform better.

One question I would have for anyone familiar with ssh/sshfs is whether
it would be possible on the server end to disallow direct ssh login
access for users while still allowing access to their files via
sshfs.

Regards

Murray