[FreeNX-kNX] NX 1.4.0 Final - Time for some new RPM's

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:05:26 UTC 2004

>> Cool thing to note is that Gnome 2.8 notices xkb errors, and will give
>> you a choice on which xkb settings to use.
>

> Any idea on which is the exact problem reported by GNOME?

There was a problem with FC2 that would give the following xkb error:
Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The XFree86 Project, Inc
40300000
You are using XFree 4.3.0.
There are known problems with complex XKB configurations.
Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh version of
XFree software.
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/
keyboard/xkb

xprop -root output:
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "us", "", ""

gconftool-2 output:
layouts = [us]
model = pc102
overrideSettings = false
options = []

This was resolved by creating links to the xorg xkb rules:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules
ln -sf xorg-it.lst xfree86-it.lst
ln -sf xorg.lst xfree86.lst
ln -sf xorg.xml xfree86.xml
ln -sf xorg xfree86

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but this is all related to the fact
that NX is based on XFree86 4.3.0, and FC2/3 are now based on xorg. FC3
now presents you with a dialog box asking if you want to use X11
settings or Gnome settings, then will set that as the default for future
connections. If you switch back and forth between console logons, and nx
logons, you will constantly get that dialog box. I haven't tried linking
the files yet on FC3, because I kinda like the new dialog box...

Regards,

Rick Stout