[FreeNX-kNX] authentication failed message

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 09:51:21 UTC 2004

Hi

1) Is it intended that with the following settings in nxserver I should
be able to establish an nx connection to the server without having
explicitly added users to the nxserver password database with nxserver
--adduser and nxserver --passwd commnds, and using the regular login
password? I've never been able to get this to work; it gives me
"authentication failed for user blah".

ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"

2) If I set: ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1" and add the user and
password with nxserver --adduser and nxserver --passwd as above then it
works fine so I don't think anything is too badly wrong in my setup.

Can anyone advise please whether my expectations in 1) are correct and
suggest what debugging I can do to find out whats going wrong.

This is on Fedora Core 2 (both server and client), and using the
packages (freenx 0.2.7, nx 1.4.0, nx-client 1.4.0) and instructions from
Rick Stout's page at:
http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Thanks

Roderick Johnstone