Spread Falkon

Juraj Oravec jurajoravec at mailo.com
Wed Nov 22 07:32:43 GMT 2023

> Juraj, good day!

Good Morning Shimon.

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:38:41 +0100
>
> Juraj Oravec <jurajoravec at mailo.com> wrote:
> > Hello Schimon,
> >
> > > In any case, the matter is that Falkon isn't subjected to the
> > > shenanigans of the big vendors.
> >
> > Falkon is in the middle of this fight.
> > QtWebEngine (the core component for web browsing) is buiold upon
> > Chromium. Go and figure in what direction things may go.
>
> Currently, Falkon, Nyxt, Otter, qutebrowser etc. are relied on WebKit
> derivatives.

No, Falkon and qutebrowser use QtWebEngine which is built on Chromium
which uses Blick as the core which is mainly developed by Google.

> Yet, in the case of web browsers mentioned above, it would be
> different, because non is dependent on special branding, non is
> deceitful and unlike the big vendors, these web browsers actually
> offer real solutions to real problems.

Branding is one thing, the core of the problem is that they all have the
same core developed by Google. (not like Firefox)

> In case new limitations come accross the WebKit backend, then a new
> fork of WebKit will emerge, with hardened security and privacy, making
> it even better to be separated from the big vendors.

Not a webkit.
Regardless, this will never happen since the web browsers are dominated
by big players and noone sane will fork their stuff.

Where will you find the resources, time and people to support that?

https://drewdevault.com/2020/03/18/Reckless-limitless-scope.html
https://drewdevault.com/2020/08/13/Web-browsers-need-to-stop.html

Best regards,
Juraj