CPU power saving settings from KDE

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Mon Jan 2 15:36:53 GMT 2023

Hello Yvan,

Plasma more or less supports doing this, using the power-profiles-daemon
system[1], which integrated with the low-level kernel drivers specific
to the CPU. If you install the power-profiled-daemon package, you should
see a "Power Profile" slider appear in your Battery & Brightness widget
popup, allowing control over the power usage.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it should serve the same
purpose if your hardware supports it. More and more hardware should
support it over time.

If your hardware doesn't support it, there's a 3rd-party widget called
something like intel-pstate-settings that I used to use which allows
control over the CPU frequency and governor directly. Be warned that
it's quite easy to accidentally configure your CPU to use *more* power
than before when using these low-level tools, so it pays to do your
research first.

Nate

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hadess/power-profiles-daemon