KDE Eco community meetup | Wed. 11 May 19-20h CEST

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Thu May 5 14:11:58 BST 2022

The 2nd Wednesday of the month is next week -- and so is our monthly KDE
Eco community meetup! Just in time for our community lab Sprint ...

_Short Overview_

*Topic*: Common misconceptions when assessing a computer's energy demand

*When*: Wednesday 11 May 19:00 CEST (UTC+2) (ics event attached)

*Where*: https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt

_Details_

So, KDE Eco is setting up a community lab to measure the energy
consumption of Free Software. But where do we start and what are the
most common pitfalls? In this talk Sven Köhler (HPI) will talk about the
common misconceptions one might have, why you can't trust your
measurement devices, and what to do about it. Furthermore, we will be
given a short primer on how to measure energy without any external
devices using the built-in Running Average Power Limit (RAPL) counters
of x86 computers.

Looking forward to seeing many of you on Wednesday!

Your community organizer,
Joseph

Notes from past meetups and Sprints can be found here:

https://invent.kde.org/joseph/be4foss/-/tree/master/community-meetups

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)

---
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: